News Release: CNY Church to Choose Leader
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CENTRAL NEW YORK CHURCH TO CHOOSE LEADER
Central New York Episcopalians gather for historic election of eleventh bishop.
Saturday, August 6, 2016
(Opening worship at 9:00 a.m.; Convention called to order 10:00 a.m.)
The Holiday Inn
441 Electronics Parkway, Liverpool, NY 13088 (I-90 exit 37; I-81 exit 25)
Episcopalians and Episcopal clergy representing the entire Central New York church will gather in convention August 6th to elect the eleventh Bishop of Central New York. Delegates represent 73 congregations from communities across Central New York, including Syracuse, the greater Finger Lakes region, Utica, Binghamton, Watertown, Elmira and Ithaca.
For the first time in the history of the Diocese, delegates will be casting ballots electronically.
The bishop-elect will succeed the beloved Right Reverend Gladstone B. “Skip” Adams III, who is retiring after fifteen years as the tenth Bishop of Central New York and will preside over the election convention.
Following a year-long national search process, five clergy leaders will stand in the bishop election:
- The Reverend Dena Cleaver-Bartholomew, Rector of Christ Church in Manlius, New York.
- The Very Reverend Dr. Dede Duncan-Probe, Rector of St. Peter’s Church in the Woods in Fairfax Station, Virginia.
- The Reverend Noah Evans, Rector of Grace Church in Medford, Massachusetts.
- The Reverend Canon Debra Kissinger, Canon for Transition Ministries & Leadership Development in the Episcopal Diocese of Indianapolis.
- The Reverend Nora Smith, Rector of the Church of St. Barnabas in Irvington, New York.
Candidate press kit available.
# # #
Established in 1868, The Episcopal Diocese of Central New York is made up of faithful Christians worshipping in 87 Episcopal congregations and chapels, including one college chaplaincy. The diocese is part of The Episcopal Church in the worldwide Anglican Communion. The diocese extends to 14 counties in the center of New York State: Broome, Cayuga, Chemung, Chenango, Cortland, Jefferson, Lewis, Madison, Oneida, Onondaga, Oswego, Seneca, Tioga and Tompkins.
PRESS CONTACT: Meredith Kadet Sanderson, (315) 569-3767 (cell), [email protected].