Author the Rev. Jenny Scott-Jones is the priest-in-charge at Grace Episcopal Church in Elmira.
As with all things 2020, Advent this year will be different. But I believe that different can be just what the Holy Spirit ordered to connect with each of us in a new way. I have curated a collection of items to fill an at-home Advent kit which will offer a variety of Advent spiritual practices to do on one’s own.
The items include:
- Small brass wreath (lends itself to further decorating with evergreens or ribbon if so desired)
- Set of four candles
- a Box of matches
- Prayer card with an icon of the Annunciation
- Copy of A Way to the Manger: Devotions for Advent and Christmas
- Advent calendar based on the 7 rules from The Way of Love (Episcopal Church)
- Easy guide to the readings for Daily Offices
- A letter with a variety of suggested spiritual practices making use of these items
To collect the items cost just under $20 per box. This is an adult-focused style of box but there are great resources online for parishes with families (my favorite is Illustrated Ministry).
What would you include in an at-home Advent kit?