The Messenger is the weekly e-mail newsletter of the Diocese of Central New York. Subscribe for inspiring stories, ministry resources, and announcements and events from our diocese, community, and the wider Episcopal Church.
Through stories, news, and resources, the Messenger inspires, informs, and equips diocesan leaders, strengthening the diocesan community and empowering local ministries.
We invite you to submit stories and photographs highlighting your parish’s ministries, with a particular focus on how you are listening and connecting to God, your neighbors, and communities.
Please review the guidelines below before submission.
Share an event or announcement
The Messenger includes a listing of events that are happening in parishes in the next eleven days, and provides readers with a link to our full parish events calendar. To add an event to the calendar, please submit your parish event promotion request online. Your listing will be reviewed and posted within 1-2 business days, and events submitted by Tuesday at noon will be featured in that week’s issue of the Messenger.
Share a photo
Submitted photos may be used or published in any manner by the Episcopal Diocese of Central New York and may be included in the “Around the Diocese: Your Photos” section of the Messenger and/or on diocesan social media. Individuals pictured must have granted permission to be photographed.
Please e-mail photo submissions to email@example.com by Tuesday at noon each week. The communications team will edit your submission and contact you if follow-up is needed. Submission does not guarantee publication.
- Photos of people engaging in formation activities and outreach ministries are preferred. The best pictures will inspire and uplift the entire diocesan audience by showing the unique ways that God is working in your congregation and community.
- Photos should be clear and colorful; ideally 1200 px wide or greater.
- Please provide a 1-2 sentence caption describing the activity in the photo and including the full names of all adults pictured (children may be unnamed or first name only).
- Indicate photographer to be credited, if applicable.
Share an article, reflection, or story
Submitted writings may be used or published in any manner by the Episcopal Diocese of Central New York and may be included in the “Around the Diocese” section of the Messenger, on the diocesan website and/or on diocesan social media. Typically, a piece will be excerpted in the Messenger with a link to the full piece on the diocesan website.
Below are some suggestions for types of articles that may be of interest. You are encouraged to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your article idea prior to submission. Generally articles must be finalized for submission by Tuesday of the week of publication.
- Inside your ministry. More than just describing a unique ministry (whether a neighborhood or global outreach or a formation activity), please go deeper by sharing things like:
- how the ministry came to be or how it is evolving (what was the discernment process like)
- what your congregation has learned from the ministry
- challenges the ministry has encountered and overcame
- how God has been active in your congregation and community through this ministry
- Spirituality. Reflect on a personal or communal practice that increases your relationship with God.
- Book reviews. Share a thought-provoking novel or faith-deepening novel or nonfiction book, especially books that engage racial reconciliation or congregational development and discernment.
- Length: 500 to 2000 words.
- Assume your reader is unfamiliar with your church and your ministry: be sure to cover the 5 W’s: Who, What, When, Where and Why.
- Ideally, include one or two good-quality pictures (see above).
- Include links to relevant information online, if appropriate.
View Most Recent Issues
Looking for an older issue? Email email@example.com.