About the Archives

The Archives of the Diocese of Central New York are located in the diocesan office. Records in the Archives date from 1767 to the present.

Records in the archives are available for research by parishes, scholars, genealogists, and any other interested individuals. Please contact our part-time volunteer archivist, Joan Green by e-mail or at (315) 652-3350, for research queries and further information.

About the Diocese of Central New York

The Diocese of Central New York was established in 1868 from the Diocese of Western New York. The Diocese of Western New York was in turn established in 1838 from the Diocese of New York, which was created in 1785. The Diocese of Central New York includes 14 counties in the center of New York State: Broome, Cayuga, Chemung, Chenango, Cortland, Jefferson, Lewis, Madison, Oneida, Onondaga,Oswego, Seneca, Tioga and Tompkins. Learn more about the Diocese.

standrewsdivinity
Students at St. Andrew's Divinity School in Syracuse, approximately 1892.
Staff Contact: Kathleen McDaniel

(315) 474-6596 x127 | e-mail

Collections

  • Records from parishes, both active and closed (scroll down list of parish records held, alphabetized by city)
    • clergy service registers
    • vestry minutes
    • records of baptisms, confirmations, marriages and burials
  • A collection of early parish magazines and newsletters
  • A nearly complete set of The Gospel Messenger, a weekly church newspaper begun in 1827 in Auburn, and the forerunner of our current e-mail newsletter, The MessengerIt provides a wealth of information about the growth of the Episcopal Church throughout the nineteenth century in upstate New York. Bound volumes are available from January 1827–April 1907, January 1910–December 1919, and January 1943–December 1945; unbound volumes are available from 1880 to 2010.
  • Photographs and scrapbooks
  • Papers and materials related to our bishops since 1868
    • Frederic Dan Huntington (1869–1904)
    • Charles Tyler Olmstead (1904–1921)
    • Charles Fiske (1921–1936)
    • Edward Huntington Coley (1936–1942)
    • Malcolm E. Peabody (1942–1960)
    • Walter Maypole Higley (1960–1968)
    • Ned Cole (1969–1983)
    • O’Kelly Whitaker (1983–1992)
    • David B. Joslin (1992–2000)
    • Gladstone B. Adams III (2001–2016)
  • Records of the Diocesan offices
  • Records and minutes of various commissions and committees of the Diocese
  • Records of Episcopal Church Women’s Ministries (ECW)
  • Records of St. Andrew’s Divinity School. Formed in 1876 by Bishop Frederic D. Huntington, St. Andrew’s provided an affordable education for would-be clergy. The school closed in 1905, having graduated 74 men. The remaining students and the school’s library were transferred to the DeLancey Divinity School at Hobart College in Geneva, New York.
  • Convention Journals:
    • General Convention of The Episcopal Church (1786-present)
    • Convention of the Diocese of Central New York (1868-present)
    • Convention of the Diocese of New York (1819-1837)
    • Convention of the Diocese of Western New York (1838-1869)
    • Journal of General Convention, 1786- present; Diocese of New York, 1819-1837; Diocese of Western New York, 1838-1869; Diocese of Central New York, 1868- present.
Archives of CNY Logo
The Gospel Messenger
The Gospel Messenger, a weekly newspaper established in 1827.

Parish Records Held

(listed alphabetically by city/town)

Location: Alden Creek

Congregation: Trinity Chapel
Dates Open: June 1940 – April 1946
Items Held: Parish Register (Edition for Missions)
Names Associated with Congregation: Frederick Meyer, Frederick Haworth
Additional Information: Bulk of Information from 1940 – 1941

Location: Altman
Congregation: St. John’s
Dates Open: 1930 – 1963
Items Held: Parish Register Volume II (Edition for Missions)
Names Associated with Congregation: Albert S. Hoag, Frederick F. Meyer, Alfreal Martin

Location: Antwerp
Congregation: St. Paul’s
Dates Open: 1855 – 1968
Items Held: Parish Registers; Vestry Minutes; Small Notebook “Church Family Record;” Treasurer Reports; History of St. Paul’s [Newspaper]
Names Associated with Congregation: the Rev. Frederick C. Ransier
Additional Information: 2 of 3 Volumes are Bound

Location: Augusta
Congregation: St. Andrew’s Church
Dates Open: 1866 – 1917
Items Held: Parish Register; Newspaper Clipping from 1884; 3 Page History of the Parish
Names Associated with Congregation: B.L. Stafford, William Cooke, Russel Todd, William Mott

Location: Big Flats
Congregation: St. John’s Church
Dates Open: 1861 – 1921
Items Held: Parish Register; 5 Newspaper Clippings; Obituaries; 2 Page Handwritten History
Names Associated with Congregation: Robert Pouker, Walter Roberts, Thomas Duck, D.L. Ferris, Lola Tuttle, Robert Coffin, David Weeks, Franklin Monroe, Harvey Luce, John Woodward

Location: Binghamton
Congregation: Church of the Good Shepherd
Dates Open: 1873 – 2008
Items Held: Vestry Minutes; Book of Remembrance; Registers of Church Service; Alter Guild Minutes; ECW Minutes; File on History; Cards with Parish Information; 125th Anniversary Bulletin; St. Mary’s Guild

Location: Bridgewater
Congregation: Christ Church
Dates Open: 1839 – 1930
Items Held: Parish Register; Historical Sketch 1839 – 1895 Written by Rev. Dr. A.B. Goodrich in 1895
Names Associated with Congregation: E. Doolittle, Rev. Dr. A.B. Goodrich
Additional Information: Parish Register also has information on St. John’s Bridgewater/Clayville, 1798; Page 7 of Register lists contents of box placed in cornerstone 24 Oct 1895

Location: Brookfield
Congregation: St. Timothy’s
Dates Open: 1906 – 1923
Items Held: Parish Register
Names Associated with Congregation: the Rev. Robert M. Duff
Additional Information: Also has information on many other parishes in the immediate area of Norwich

Location: Cayuga
Congregation: St. Luke’s
Dates Open: 1840 – 1928
Items Held: Ledger; Parish Register [includes early history]; Record Book of Givers; Baptismal Certificates; Receipts; Church Mission Work;
Additional Information: 3 early Cayuga residents were listed as confirmed 1829, but not listed where

Location: Champion
Congregation: St. John’s Church
Dates Open: 1858 – 1962
Items Held: Parish Register; 12 Page Handwritten History; Assorted Newspaper Clippings and Letters

Location: Chenango Forks
Congregation: St. John’s Church
Dates Open: 1878 – 1937
Items Held: Parish Registers; Financial Records
Additional Information: Bulk of Information from 1890 – 1930

Location: Clayville
Congregation: St. John’s
Dates Open: 1849 – 1926
Items Held: Book of Records; Parish Register
Additional Information: See also Christ Church, Bridgewater for records from 1798

Location: Cleveland
Congregation: St. James
Dates Open: 1867 – 2001
Items Held: Parish Registers; Vestry Minutes; Files of Dissolution; “A History of St. James” Pamphlet from 1912; Photos
Additional Information:

Location: Constantia
Congregation: Trinity Church
Dates Open: 1832 – 1945
Items Held: Records Book [includes handwritten history]
Names Associated with Congregation: Frederick Scriba, George Scriba
Additional Information: Reopened in 1949

Location: Danby
Congregation: Christ Church
Dates Open: 1838 – 1879
Items Held: Parish Register
Additional Information: Information located in 1 composition book [appears copied from original]

Location: Dexter
Congregation: All Saint’s
Dates Open: 1839 – 1930
Items Held: Parish Register; Vestry Minutes

Location: Dryden
Congregation: Trinity
Dates Open: June 1901 – December 1925
Items Held: Parish Register; Historical Record; Historical Record Book which includes Newspaper Clippings, Letters, etc.

Location: Durhamville
Congregation: St. Andrew’s
Dates Open: 1871 – ?
Items Held: Parish Registers; Record of Services; Minutes; Scrapbook

Location: Forestport
Congregation: Christ Church
Dates Open: 1855 – 1911
Items Held: Parish Registers; Various Financial Records; Folder on Closing 1991; Wooden Box-File of Names; Guestbook; Register of Services; Book of Remembrances; Women’s Auxiliary Minutes; Vestry Minutes
Additional Information: Information located in 9 bound volumes, various loose leaf notebooks and folders

Location: Frederick Corners
Congregation: St. Paul’s
Dates Open: 1888 – 1904
Items Held: Parish Register

Location: Great Bend
Congregation: Trinity Chapel
Dates Open: 1911 – 1957
Items Held: Church Register (for Missions)
Additional Information: Russ Champlin has information book on Trinity Chapel

Location: Greig
Congregation: Trinity
Dates Open: 1904 – 1967
Items Held: Parish Registers; Volume of Service of Church

Location: Groton
Congregation: St. Ambrose
Dates Open: 1908 – 1986
Items Held: Parish Registers
Additional Information: Other records at Grace Church, Cortland

Location: Guilford
Congregation: Christ Church
Dates Open: 1830 – 1955
Items Held: Parish Registers; Register of Church Service; Vestry Minutes; Ladies Guild minutes; 5 memorial plates; Story of Parish through Photos [Includes photos of most of the Rectors]
Additional Information: Missing registers for 1905 – 1937 [probably due to fire in December 1935]; History of Parish through Photos are in 1 scrapbook, 1 pamphlet and photographs; Other records are in 9 bound volumes, 1 loose leaf notebook, 1 folder, 1 blueprint and 5 brass plates

Location: Harpersville
Congregation: St. Luke’s Church
Dates Open: 1799 – 1969
Items Held: Parish Registers; Financial books; Service books; Vestry Minutes; Copy of Certificate of Consecration in Vestry Minutes
Additional Information: Duplicates located in Broome County Historical Society and the Historian’s Office in Harpersville; Older records extremely fragile

Location: Houseville
Congregation: Lewis County Mission
Dates Open: 1879 – 1881
Items Held: Parish Register

Location: Hoyt’s Corners
Congregation: Calvary
Dates Open: 1883 – 1941
Items Held: Parish Register; 1 Page Handwritten History
Additional Information: Bulk of Information from 1883 – 1929

Location: Interlaken
Congregation: St. John’s
Dates Open: 1907 – 1926
Items Held: Parish Register

Location: Jamesville
Congregation: St. Mark
Dates Open: 1831 – 1984
Items Held: Vestry Minutes; Church Guest Book; Parish Registers; 11 Page Handwritten History
Additional Information: Information located in two packages consisting of 5 bound volumes, 3 ring binders and 1 composition book

Location: Kendaia and Dey’s Landing
Congregation: St. Andrew’s
Dates Open: 1875 – 1941
Items Held: Parish registers [6 pages of history in each volume]
Additional Information: St. Andrew’s, Day’s Landing, moved to Kendaia in 1906; List of confirmands transferred to St. Stephan’s, Romulus on 1 January 1885

Location: Kidders Ferry
Congregation: All Saint’s
Dates Open: 1880 – 1933
Items Held: Parish Register; 5 Page Handwritten History; Newspaper Clippings; Bulletin of Laying of Corner Stone, 17 Aug 1880

Location: Lacona
Congregation: Emmanuel
Dates Open: 1912 – 1946
Items Held: Parish Register; Minutes of Executive Committee and Annual Meeting

Location: Lafargeville
Congregation: St. Paul’s
Dates Open: 1856 – 1990
Items Held: 5 Page Handwritten History; Metal Box of Financial Records; Register of Church Services; Vestry Minutes, Secretary Book of Sunday School with Minutes and Attendance; Parish Registers
Additional Information: Information located in 7 bound volumes and 1 metal box

Location: Lake Delta
Congregation: St. Andrew’s and Zion Chapel
Dates Open: Zion Chapel, 1959 – 1967; St. Andrew’s, 1960 – 1987
Items Held: Register of Services for Zion Chapel; Registers of Services for St. Andrew’s; Parish Register includes both St. Andrew’s and Zion Chapel

Location: Lyons Falls
Congregation: St. Margaret’s
Dates Open: 1924 – 1944
Items Held: Parish Registers

Location: Manlius
Congregation: St. John’s/ Manlius School
Dates Open: 1908 – 1953
Items Held: Parish Registers; Register of Church Services
Additional Information: St. John’s became Manlius School

Location: McDonough
Congregation: Calvary
Dates Open: 1885 – 2005
Items Held: Parish Registers; Church Register Minutes; ECW Minutes; Files; Vestry Minutes

Location: McLean
Congregation: Zion Church
Dates Open: 1858 – 1926
Items Held: Ledger; Parish Register
Additional Information: Information in 1 composition book and 1 bound volume

Location: Memphis
Congregation: Emmanuel Church
Dates Open: 1901 – 1955
Items Held: Parish Register

Location: Minetto
Congregation: St. Luke’s
Dates Open: 1923 – 1944
Items Held: 1 Page Handwritten History, Parish Register

Location: Mt. Upton
Congregation: Grace Church
Dates Open: 1854 – 1908
Items Held: Parish Register; Survey of Church Property; Copy of 1833 Indentures; Court Records of Sale of Church Property, 1896

Location: New York Mills
Congregation: St. James
Dates Open: 1892 – 1927
Items Held: Parish Registers

Location: North Pitcher
Congregation: St. James
Dates Open: 1941 – 1977
Items Held: Parish Register; Typed List of Parishioners, 1956

Location: Northville
Congregation: Calvary Church
Dates Open: 1863 – 1921
Items Held: Parish Register
Additional Information: The town name King Ferry is handwritten inside parish register cover

Location: Onondaga Nation, Nedrow
Congregation: Good Shepherd
Dates Open: 1868 – 1973
Items Held: Handwritten History, 1655 – 1920; Cash Books; Parish Registers

Location: Oriskany
Congregation: St. Peter
Dates Open: 1830 – 1998
Items Held: Vestry Minutes; Services Register; Parish Register; Photo Album; Various Files

Location: Oriskany Falls
Congregation: Church of the Good Shepherd
Dates Open: 1871 – 1992
Items Held: Parish Register [with Handwritten History]; Financial Book; Register of Church Services; Record of Offerings for Missions of Diocese; Women’s Group
Additional Information: Information in 3 bound volumes and 1 composition book; 1 volume is in poor condition; many loose copies of records in register, i.e. transfers, etc.

Location: Paris Hill
Congregation: St. Paul’s
Dates Open: 1797 – 1918
Items Held: Parish Registers; Folder of Historic Notes and Photos; Glass Slides; Newspaper Clippings; Map of Burial Ground of Episcopal Society, Paris, 1802
Additional Information: Information located in 3 bound volumes and 1 folder; this is the oldest church west of Johnstown in the Diocese

Location: Phoenix
Congregation: St. John’s
Dates Open: 1865 – 1980
Items Held: Cash Register Book
Additional Information: Parish registers are located at All Saints, Fulton, N.Y.

Location: Pierrepont Manor
Congregation: Zion Church
Dates Open: 1833 – 1859
Items Held: Parish Registers
Additional Information: Information in 1 bound volume and 1 composition book

Location: Port Byron
Congregation: St. Paul’s
Dates Open: (1871), 1883 – 1829
Items Held: Parish Register; Document on the Organization of the Episcopal Church Society, 1871

Location: Prospect Valley
Congregation: St. Mary’s
Dates Open: 1954 – 1973
Items Held: Parish Register
Additional Information: Bulk of Information from 1954 – 1966; after 1966 they had only one service per year, on Recognition Sunday, through 1973

Location: Redfield
Congregation: Emmanuel Church
Dates Open: 1867 – 1932
Items Held: Parish Registers; 5 Page Handwritten History
Additional Information: Information in 1 bound volume and 1 composition book

Location: Rockdale
Congregation: St. Matthew’s Mission
Dates Open: 1916 – 1932
Items Held: Parish Register
Additional Information: Information Located in 1 bound volume, which is an old calendar book

Location: Rome
Congregation: St. Andrew’s
Dates Open: 1958 – 1975
Items Held: Executive Committee Minutes; Vestry Minutes; Worship Committee Schedules
Additional Information: Information located in 4 loose leaf notebooks and 1 folder

Location: Smithboro
Congregation: St. Mary’s
Dates Open: 1923 – 1927
Items Held: Parish Register
Additional Information: No marriages are listed in register

Location: Smithville Flats
Congregation: Bishop Huntington Chapel
Dates Open: 1922 – 1969
Items Held: Parish Register; Register of Church Services; 2 Page Handwritten History
Additional Information: Bulk of Information from 1922 – 1963

Location: Spencer
Congregation: St. John’s
Dates Open: 1898 – 1968
Items Held: Parish Register; Vestry Minutes; Registers of Church Services
Additional Information: Information located in 3 bound volumes, 1 loose leaf notebook and 1 composition book; Register was copied in 1924, probably from the original

Location: Syracuse
Congregation: All Saints
Dates Open: 1892 – 1995
Items Held: Vestry Reports; St. Anne’s Guild Minutes; Brotherhood of St. Andrew’s; Information on Men of Parish; Individual Records of Baptisms and Burials; Registers of Church Services; Clergyman’s Record; Book of Remembrance; Annual Meeting; Photos of all Rectors; Title-estate Papers; Blueprints; Confirmations; Marriages; Parish Registers; Scrapbooks

Location: Syracuse
Congregation: Calvary
Dates Open: (1873), 1880 – 1995
Items Held: Parish Register; Photos; History; Scrapbook; Vestry Minutes; Memorial Books; Service Records; Annual Meeting Reports; Individual and Parishioner Records
Names Associated with Congregation: Rev. C. Bertam Runnels
Additional Information: All records prior to fall 1963 were destroyed in a fire; there are no marriage records listed in the parish register

Location: Syracuse
Congregation: Hospital of the Good Shepherd and Guild of St. Barnabas for Nurses
Dates Open: 1888 – 1908
Items Held: Parish Register; Book of the Minutes of Guild of St. Barnabas for Nurses
Additional Information: Baptisms from 6 Jun 1901 – 1 Nov 1901 can be found at the Church of the Savior, Syracuse; information located in 1 bound volume and 1 composition book

Location: Syracuse
Congregation: St. Andrew
Dates Open: 1915 – 2007
Items Held: Blueprints; Property Deeds; Parishioners Cards; Register of Church Service; Parish Register; Book of Remembrance; Annual Meeting Report; Altar Guild Minutes; 100th Anniversary; Directories; Sample Bulletins; Vestry Minutes

Location: Syracuse
Congregation: St. James
Items Held: Daily records of Rev. Dr. J.M. Clarke
Names Associated with Congregation: Rev. Dr. J.M. Clarke

Location: Syracuse
Congregation: St. John the Divine
Dates Open: 1885 – 1914
Items Held: Parish Registers
Additional Information: Items are in poor condition

Location: Syracuse
Congregation: St. Mark
Dates Open: (1832), 1885 – 1994
Items Held: Diary of Mrs. Cyrus Avery; Photos; Vestry Minutes; Parish Registers; Marriage Registers; Service Record Book; Memorial Funds; Annual Meetings; Deed; News Clippings; Selections of Newsletters; Bulletins
Names Associated with Congregation: Rectors E. Chuloff, T. Anderson, A. Barasda, D. Cargill

Location: Syracuse
Congregation: St. Phillips
Dates Open: 1897 – 1958
Items Held: Parish Registers; Register of Church Services; Death Certificate and Newspaper Obituary of Rev. Francis Elligor
Names Associated with Congregation: Rev. Francis Elligor
Additional Information: Includes very early records of black Episcopalians in Syracuse

Location: Syracuse
Congregation: Trinity
Dates Open: 1855 – 1998
Items Held: Registers of Church Services; Marriage Registers; Photos; Scrapbooks; Vestry Minutes; Church School Material [Includes Mission Projects with Worldwide Children]; Letters of Transfer In and Out; History of Trinity Papers; Blueprints; Information on Architecture and Windows; Incorporation Papers; Declaration of Intention; Men’s Club; Record of Men and Women in Service; Funeral Cards; Parish Self-study; Investments

Location: Turin
Congregation: Emmanuel Mission
Dates Open: 1880 – 1885
Items Held: Parish Register; 1 Page Handwritten History
Additional Information: Book in poor condition

Location: Turin
Congregation: St. Paul’s Church “Old Church”
Inclusive Dates: 1817 – 1856
Items Held: Parish Register with Vestry Minutes, Declaration of Intention Form, 18 Jan 1952
Additional Information: Information located in 1 composition book

Location: Utica
Congregation: Memorial Church of the Holy Cross
Dates Open: 1880 – 1956
Items Held: Parish Registers
Additional Information: Registers are numbered volume 2 – 5; we do not have volume 1

Location: Utica
Congregation: St. Peter’s and St. Paul’s (Italian Mission) [Italian Episcopal Church of the Holy Cross]
Dates Open: 1912 – 1937
Items Held: Parish Registers
Additional Information: Information is located in 3 composition notebooks; information is written in Italian

Location: Vestal
Congregation: St. Andrew
Dates Open: 1954 – 2007
Items Held: Parish Registers; Files on Property; Vestry Minutes; Bulletins; Newsletters; Directories; Annual Report; Individual Records

Location: Warners
Congregation: St. Paul’s
Dates Open: 1898 – 1988
Items Held: Registers of Service; Parish Registers; Financial Records

Location: Weedsport
Congregation: St. John’s
Dates Open: 1866 – 1920
Items Held: Parish Register

Location: West Endicott
Congregation: St. Michael and All Angels
Dates Open: 1922 – 1969
Items Held: Parish Registers; Executive Committee Minutes; Registers of Church Services; Photos and Glass Slides; Membership Cards
Additional Information: Information located in 1 loose leaf notebook, 3 composition books and 5 bound volumes

Location: Westmoreland
Congregation: Gethsemane
Dates Open: 1842 – 1920
Items Held: Parish Register; Vestry Minutes
Additional Information: Bound volume 1 is in poor condition

Start typing and press Enter to search