News Advisory: First Female Episcopal Bishop of CNY to be Consecrated Saturday, Dec. 3rd
for Friday, December 2nd and Saturday, Dec. 3rd
FIRST FEMALE EPISCOPAL BISHOP OF CNY TO BE CONSECRATED SATURDAY DEC. 3rd
Hundreds of Central New Yorkers and bishops/dignitaries from across the United States will participate in the Ordination & Consecration of The Very. Rev. Dr. DeDe Duncan-Probe as 11th Bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Central New York, which includes 86 parishes and chapels from Canada to Pennsylvania borders and from Utica to Waterloo.
Duncan-Probe, former rector of St. Peter’s-in-the-Woods Church in Fairfax Station, Virginia, officially takes leadership with civic & faith leaders from around the nation and El Salvador participating. Representatives include:
- Chief Consecrator: The Most Reverend Michael Bruce Curry, Presiding Bishop of The Episcopal Church. Dynamic leader & speaker; author, Crazy Christians: A Call to Follow Jesus; Buffalo native/ Hobart College grad; first African-American to serve as chief leader of Episcopal Church.
- Preacher: The Right Reverend Barbara C. Harris; first woman to serve as a bishop in The Episcopal Church and worldwide Anglican Communion.
- Past CNY Episcopal Bishops: Gladstone B. “Skip” Adams (10th), David B. Joslin (9th)
- New York State Episcopal Bishops: William Love, Albany; Lawrence Provenzano, Long Island; Andrew Dietsche, Allen Shin & Mary Glasspool, New York; Prince Singh, Rochester; William Franklin, Western New York.
- Worldwide/ Nationwide Episcopal/Anglican Bishops: Bishops of El Salvador, Virginia, Newark, El Camino Real, Western North Carolina, Eastern Oregon.
- Civic & Religious Leaders: Islamic Society of CNY; Upstate Lutheran Synod; Thekhen Choling USA (Buddhist); Baha’is of Syracuse; National Council of Churches; Upstate University Hospital Spiritual Care; InterFaith Works.
The Holiday Inn Convention Center, 441 Electronics Parkway, Liverpool, NY 13088.
Enter through Convention Center doors; ask usher for Meredith Sanderson.
Friday, Dec. 2, 1:30-2:00 p.m. Interview Opportunity with Presiding Bishop Curry and CNY Bishop-elect Duncan-Probe. Hopes for Diocese & CNY; role/relevance of church in time of political division & changing culture.
Saturday, Dec. 3, 11 a.m.-1:30 p.m. (approx.) Consecration Service
- 11:00 a.m.–Processions
- 12:00 p.m. (approx.)–Laying on of the hands by Consecrating Bishops & Gifts of Symbols of Episcopate.
- ** Due to time constraints, no interviews at event. See interview opportunity scheduled for Fri 12/2.
For more information about the new Bishop, Consecration & Diocese: cnyepiscopal.org/consecration-press-kit
PRESS CONTACT & ARRANGEMENTS:
Meredith Kadet Sanderson, (315) 569-3767 (cell), [email protected].
On-scene: Ask usher for Meredith Kadet Sanderson or cell phone (315) 569-3767.