for Friday, December 2nd and Saturday, Dec. 3rd
FIRST FEMALE EPISCOPAL BISHOP OF CNY TO BE CONSECRATED SATURDAY DEC. 3rd
Hundreds of Central New Yorkers and bishops/dignitaries from across the United States will participate in the Ordination & Consecration of The Very. Rev. Dr. DeDe Duncan-Probe as 11th Bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Central New York, which includes 86 parishes and chapels from Canada to Pennsylvania borders and from Utica to Waterloo.
Duncan-Probe, former rector of St. Peter’s-in-the-Woods Church in Fairfax Station, Virginia, officially takes leadership with civic & faith leaders from around the nation and El Salvador participating. Representatives include:
- Chief Consecrator: The Most Reverend Michael Bruce Curry, Presiding Bishop of The Episcopal Church. Dynamic leader & speaker; author, Crazy Christians: A Call to Follow Jesus; Buffalo native/ Hobart College grad; first African-American to serve as chief leader of Episcopal Church.
- Preacher: The Right Reverend Barbara C. Harris; first woman to serve as a bishop in The Episcopal Church and worldwide Anglican Communion.
- Past CNY Episcopal Bishops: Gladstone B. “Skip” Adams (10th), David B. Joslin (9th)
- New York State Episcopal Bishops: William Love, Albany; Lawrence Provenzano, Long Island; Andrew Dietsche, Allen Shin & Mary Glasspool, New York; Prince Singh, Rochester; William Franklin, Western New York.
- Worldwide/ Nationwide Episcopal/Anglican Bishops: Bishops of El Salvador, Virginia, Newark, El Camino Real, Western North Carolina, Eastern Oregon.
- Civic & Religious Leaders: Islamic Society of CNY; Upstate Lutheran Synod; Thekhen Choling USA (Buddhist); Baha’is of Syracuse; National Council of Churches; Upstate University Hospital Spiritual Care; InterFaith Works.
The Holiday Inn Convention Center, 441 Electronics Parkway, Liverpool, NY 13088.
Enter through Convention Center doors; ask usher for Meredith Sanderson.
Friday, Dec. 2, 1:30-2:00 p.m. Interview Opportunity with Presiding Bishop Curry and CNY Bishop-elect Duncan-Probe. Hopes for Diocese & CNY; role/relevance of church in time of political division & changing culture.
Saturday, Dec. 3, 11 a.m.-1:30 p.m. (approx.) Consecration Service
- 11:00 a.m.–Processions
- 12:00 p.m. (approx.)–Laying on of the hands by Consecrating Bishops & Gifts of Symbols of Episcopate.
- ** Due to time constraints, no interviews at event. See interview opportunity scheduled for Fri 12/2.
For more information about the new Bishop, Consecration & Diocese: cnyepiscopal.org/consecration-press-kit
PRESS CONTACT & ARRANGEMENTS:
Meredith Kadet Sanderson, (315) 569-3767 (cell), email@example.com.
On-scene: Ask usher for Meredith Kadet Sanderson or cell phone (315) 569-3767.